Hills Middle School Announcement for Wednesday, November 15, 2023
Middle school students from across Indiana came together November 14 to write bills, debate them, model the government, and sign bills that “passed” into law. Scribner 6th grader, Kai Will, passed her bill through the House chamber. Highland Hills 8th grader, Keegan Hunchman, passed her bill through the House AND Senate and had her bill signed into law by the student governor. Highland Hills 6th grader, Audrey McCoy, was one of three students awarded Outstanding Delegate for their performance during debate. Highland Hills 6th grader, Kaylee McCoy, was one of three students awarded Outstanding Statesman for their performance during debate rounds as well as their participating with other delegates during non-debate components.
Thanksgiving Break – November 22 – 24. Our building will be closed over the holiday.
- Just a reminder to our 8th grade students to bring your glasses on the following day(s) when we do vision screenings:
- 8th graders on 11/17 (Friday)
- The United States Marine Corps “Toys for Tots” Christmas Campaign is in full swing. Please donate a new, unwrapped toy and place it in the white box in front of Lieutenant Shultz’s office in the Commons. We will collect toys up until December 7th. Thank you in advance!
Here is the link for the Secret Angel Sign up!
This Holiday Season, Highland Hills has the opportunity to support our own local community and those in need. Please consider sponsoring an Angel by viewing this link to SignUp Genius.
|Highland Hills Secret Angel Tree 2023
Dear Highland Hills Families, As part of our Outreach Program, we have the opportunity to help our own local community this Holiday Season. Please take a moment to look over the wish list and sign up for the Angel you would like to sponsor. These families are not receiving assistance elsewhere during the Holiday Season. Thank you in advance for your generosity & joyful giving! Sincerely, HHMS PTO Community Outreach Committee ______________________________ INSTRUCTIONS Choose your angel – make note of the age and gender of your child for shopping purposes.Place your gift in a holiday gift bag, mark with your FULL Angel Number & send to HHMS (please drop off at the front office).Please send in your gift by Wednesday, December 6th.
Holiday Food Drive – November 27 – December 1st:
The HHMS Holiday Food Drive will take place November 27-December 1. This year we have added the convenience of ordering items online! Grade level items are listed on the flier below. If you would like to order online, please use the QR code and be sure to change the shipping address to HHMS Counselors. Those items will be shipped directly to the school. Students can still bring in items to their first period/homeroom teachers, if they would like.
Athletics Announcements (We also have an athletic bulletin board located in the Commons near the pool)
Here is the link to the year-round spirit gear store.
Clubs (We have a club bulletin board located in the Commons near the pool)
- All Pro Dads ~ Email Rob Holtzmann with questions email@example.com
- November 17
- February 16
- May 17
- Best Buddies Club ~ see flyer below
- Any questions please contact: Charly Tunison ~ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Here is the link for more information regarding Best Buddies:
- Deadline to sign up is 11/10 and our first group event will be our match party 12/3 5:30-7
- Book Club ~ Meets the last Monday of the month from 8:00 – 8:40am. See Mrs. Woten with any questions @ email@example.com Happy Reading!
- Monday, November 27
- Monday, December 18
- Monday, January 29
- Monday, February 26
- Monday, April 29
- Monday, May 20
- Campus Life ~ for 5-8th grades meets on every Wednesday after school until 5:00pm in the cafeteria. NO Campus Life today due to the Early Release
- Campus Life for 5 – 8th grades will meet every Wednesday after school until 5:00pm in the cafeteria. Campus Life is a positive place where students can have fun with friends, talk about relevant issues, and be heard without judgment. It’s a place where you will be challenged to make good decisions and lead in a positive way here at HHMS. See Kevin Becht with any questions @ firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chess club ~ The club will meet every Tuesday after school until 5:00 in Mrs. Schroeder’s room (A244). All students are welcome. Contact Mrs. Milliner or Mrs. Schroeder with any questions.
- Dungeon & Dragons ~ Contact Mr. Blaylock or Mr. Abel
Meeting Tues. @ 3:45 – 4:45pm in the Cafeteria Must be picked up by 5:00pm
- INTRAMURALS are for any 5th – 8th grader that is interested in playing different sports before school.
- 7th and 8th graders are on Thursdays from 7:30 – 8:35am.
- 5th and 6th graders are on Fridays from 7:30 – 8:35am.
- You enter the gym through door #28.
- If you have any questions, please see Mrs. Fox or Mr. Michell.
|Nov. 16 and 17||Floor Hockey|
|Nov. 23 and 24||NO INTRAMURALS THIS WEEK DUE TO THANKSGIVING BREAK|
|Nov. 30 and Dec. 1||Cricket Baseball|
|Dec. 7 and 8||Flag Football|
|Dec. 14 and 15||Santa Dodgeball|
- Journalism Club ~ Journalism Club is back. Do you like to write, take pictures and talk to others? We will meet every other week to begin, but may move to every week later in the year if needed. All participants should be picked up by 5pm. Club is open to any student grades 5-8 in room A185. If you have any questions, please contact Mrs. Taggart at email@example.com.
- Lego Club ~ Meet in the library once a month on Wednesdays from 3:45-4:30pm
- Nov 15th
- Dec 13th
- Random Acts of Kindness ~ will meet on the THIRD Thursday of each month. We will meet after school in the library until 5 pm. Here is a list of RAK meetings to add to the master calendar:
- Nov. 30 (date change)
- NO MEETING IN DECEMBER
- Jan. 18
- Feb. 15
- NO MEETING IN MARCH
- April 18
- May 16
- RC Club (Remote Control Car) ~ Here is the google classroom code for students that are interested in the RC Club in Mr. Finken’s room A232.
- Prism Club in Room C101 from 4:00 – 5:00pm. See Shawntrice Radford with any questions or more details firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are the dates:
- Nov 20 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Dec 4 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Dec 18 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Jan 8 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Jan 22 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Feb 5 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Feb 19 ~ 4pm-5pm
- March 4 ~ 4pm-5pm
- April 1 ~ 4pm-5pm
- April 15 ~ 4pm-5pm
- April 29 ~ 4pm-5pm
- May 13 ~ 4pm-5pm
- Scouts ~ If anybody has an interest in learning life skills and has an affinity for the outdoors, we have the extracurricular for you. On this coming Tuesday (Nov. 14) from 6:30pm to 8:00pm in the Commons, a local scout troop will be here to give more information on who they are and what they do. This is an invitation for all students with an interest to attend. there is a boys and girls troop that will be able to answer any questions you might have about getting involved in scouts.
- Sign Language Club (ASL) ~ will meet on Tuesdays in the Library from 8:15am – 8:40am. Mrs. Schaffer will meet you at Door 1 to let you in the building. Meeting dates:
- November 14, 2023 – Different location – Safety Net Room
- November 28, 2023
- December 12, 2023
- January 9, 2024
- January 23, 2024
- February 6, 2024
- February 20, 2024
- March 5, 2024
- April 2, 2024
- April 16, 2024
- April 30, 2024
- May 14, 2024 – Different location – Safety Net Room
- May 28, 2024
- Student Council – The 2023 Student Council is meeting Today until 4:30 in room A 242. This is for students who were elected LAST January. Applications for 2024 will come out after Thanksgiving Break, so please listen for that announcement. (A. Dusch and L. Edwards)
- Sudoku Club ~ be held in room A342. Club will meet the first and third Thursday of the month. Come learn how to play a popular logic game as well as other puzzle type activities. Contact Mrs. Jenkins with questions.
- Sudoku Club will not meet this week. The next meeting will be held December 7th.
- Student Council – (Sponsors: Amellia Dusch & Lindsey Edwards)
- Theatre Club ~ Auditions for Shrek Jr will be in February. Expect more information and details after Christmas Break. For more information, join HHMS Theatre Arts Classroom with join code: womtbf2
Good luck to any of our Jaguars that perform or play this evening. Remember it’s NOT whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game. Celebrate your wins, don’t get stuck on your losses and always be a team player. Have a great afternoon.
- Lunch Menu Links: https://foodservice.nafcs.org/
- Here is our PTO September Newsletter below.
- Volunteering @ school? Do not forget that we need a background check run every school year if you are going to be in our school or volunteering your time with our students. If you have already filled it out for this school year (2023-24), you do not need to do it again. Here is the link to submit your information:
- If you have any transportation questions or need to be added to a bus route, please Email Transportation@nafcs.org
- Car Rider Reminder – please pull you vehicle all the way up (bumper to bumper) so that we can get as many cars in as possible when loading and unloading.
- No Students should be walking in the parking lot unless with adult supervision. Thank you
- Car Rider Pick-up and Drop Off ~All car riders dropping off or picking up students will enter the Indian Creek Lane entrance (NOT our main entrance). The front is for Buses and Staff Parking only. Once you pass the tennis courts, you will use:
- Morning drop-off:
- To alleviate congestion on the main road in the morning, we will allow vehicles to use either the upper or lower car rider lines to drop off their students based on traffic flow.
- Only 5th-grade students will be allowed to go straight to their classroom at 8:40am.
- All 6th, 7th, & 8th-grade students using the upper car rider line will use the back stairwell with supervision to walk down to the Commons/Cafe’/Gym. These students should NOT stop at their locker or their classrooms unsupervised.
- Please stay in your lane and remain in that lane. If you are in the right lane, that will be taking you up to the upper car rider line. If you are in the left lane, that will take you to the lower car rider lane. For safety measures, you should NOT switch lanes at the 3-way stop.
- Afternoon pick-up:
- The right-hand lane to enter the Upper Car Rider Circle (5th & 6th Grade ONLY)
- The left-hand lane to use the Lower Car Rider Circle (for vehicles that have any 7th or 8th Grade students)
- All vehicles will NEED to stop at the 3-Way stop in the back.
- Both lanes will exit using the side parking lot
- Cars attempting to enter the front entrance will be directed to the Indian Creek Lane for drop off. We appreciate your cooperation.
- SAFETY CONCERN – We continue to have students walk through the buses into the parking lot to meet their afternoon ride. We have two car rider lines that move very quickly with the hundreds of vehicles that use it daily. If you are NOT able to use the car rider lines, please walk up to get the students on the side walk using one of the two crosswalks. Students are NEVER to walk through the buses on their own. An adult should be with them. This is a huge safety concern. We appreciate you keeping ALL of our students safe.
- If you arrive at HHMS at 9:00, you need to use the front entrance and walk your student in for a Tardy pass. (The back doors will be locked for safety reasons)
Here is the QR code for parents to be able to make appointments through the health department for immunizations.
- Here is our October PTO Newsletter Link ~ October 2023 Newsletter
- Youth and Government is an Indiana program through the YMCA for students to learn about how the government works, learn to write bills, debate them, and “pass” them into law. If your student loves to debate, is interested in law or politics, this might be a great fit for them. Students that are interested in this opportunity are invited to join our local delegation. Fall meetings will take place at the Floyd County YMCA (33 State St, New Albany, IN 47150). Families do not have to be YMCA members to participate. Please email Amanda McCoy, email@example.com, if you have any questions.
Our remaining meetings are:
- Monday, November 6th-meeting at Floyd YMCA in New Albany 6pm Monday, November 13th-meeting at Floyd YMCA in New Albany 6pm
- Tuesday, November 14th-Indiana Middle School Conference!
- The 23-24 yearbooks are on sale! You can reserve your copy for the special early bird price of $30 by visiting www.yearbookforever.com. This is a great time to also purchase an ad to make your yearbook extra special! When you place your order, please type your student’s name as it appears in PowerSchool. Contact Mrs. Davis with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here is the link for the November PTO Newsletter: